Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bangkok Shutdown

We didn't know it, but our hostel was right smack dab in the middle of the big protests in Bangkok.  Literally.  Walk out of the door of our hostel, and there they are.  You might hear the news and media about the protests but don't believe everything you hear.  I certainly won't after this experience.

Everyone was SO super friendly and welcoming.  WAY more than the people in Korea.  Sad.  We arrived on Monday, January 13th, the day the resurgence of the protests began.  The protests have been going on for several months, but Monday was THE big Bangkok Shutdown date.

It was so awesome to be right in the middle of history being made.  Bridget and I never felt scared.  It was truly wonderful, and I am so glad it turned out this way.

We got off at our subway stop, and this is what we saw when we looked down.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.




This is our hostel.  Yes, right there with the protests.

You literally walk right out from our hostel, and there were the protesters.

People were selling red, white, and blue accessories to show support, including whistles, which people used to show their support when a speaker or someone (or even a car horn) said something they liked.  It worked.  People were sleeping in tents or on the streets.  Everyone was in a great mood.  No rude, obnoxious, or drunk people.








 In Siam Square, trying to find a place for dinner.



 Bangkok Shutdown 13 January 2014


 People loved to wave and smile at us and loved us to take their pictures.






I hope these pictures show you exactly what it was like.  Yes, I know I took a lot of pictures, but I wanted to give a true representation.  I hope I did.

3 comments:

  1. that has to be totally amazing to live in a piece of history... that you KNOW was REALLY an authentic piece of history being made. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS totally amazing. Besides the elephant park, the protests were my favorite part of my trip. The energy was so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Everyone was SO super friendly and welcoming. WAY more than the people in Korea."
    I agree, this is very true.

    ReplyDelete