Thursday, October 24, 2013

Zombie Apocalypse and an abandoned theme park

This past Saturday was the Zombie Apocalypse Run at Expo Park.  The run was designed to raise money for Daejeon Paws, an animal shelter here in Daejeon.  Actually, it's not even a shelter.  One woman houses 50 dogs and cats in her own home...cares for them and loves them as her own.  She relies on donations and volunteers to help her out.  My heart goes out to this woman.  Apparently she is the sweetest woman who appreciates anything and everything you can do to help the dogs.  That's my kind of woman.  I want to volunteer there, but I'm afraid that I will come home with a dog.  You know me and dogs.  And especially after Maisy passing, I have been a little emotional lately.  They even brought a couple of dogs to the Zombie Run, and I got to pet a couple of them.  They were so sweet and did not help the fact that I miss having dogs in my home.





Here is a link to learn more about Daejeon Paws:
http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/animal-shelters/daejeon-paws

I'm sure she would love donations if you could spare some money...even if it's just a little bit.  A little bit can go a long way, and every little bit helps.  She gives her PayPal information on the site.  Most of small dogs are strays, but most of the big dogs she personally rescues from the meat market or from neighbors when she hears of them planning to butcher them for meat.  It's just awful to think about it.  Like I said, she has a heart of gold.  Last year, 28 dogs and cats were adopted.

I am still hoping to make it out there and volunteer one of these days.  Maybe it's a good thing that I don't know if my landlord accepts pets or not.

So back to the Zombie Apocalypse....you could have your make-up done by a professional (one of my friends was one of the make-up artists), or you could do your own make-up.  We got there a little early to see everything.


My friend, Kali, was a zombie and had her make-up professionally done.  Doesn't she look awesome?


More zombies...




While we were waiting for the run to start, several of us decided to walk around Expo Park.  There ended up being a big kids science festival going on that day.


Check this out!  You can go EZ Glamping in the city!  All in Expo Park!  I wonder if anyone actually does this...it looks like it could be a lot of fun if a bunch of people went together.

















We all thought this place looked like something out of a sci-fi movie.

On our way back to the area of the registration for the zombie run, we came across the abandoned amusement park part of Expo Park.  Sadly, it was blocked off as we knew it would be.  Doesn't it look cool?  Like a perfect place for a scary movie?

We thought this looked like a graveyard.





Guess who's coming.....the zombies!  They are going to find their hiding spots.







How creepy is this?

Saree is trying to break in...


A random chair...


We keep walking and eventually find a spot that has a "gate" that's not really gated.  We look closer and see and that the gate doesn't even close all the way.  There are benches there that don't even back up to the gate.  And look even closer....you can just walk around the benches and go inside the abandoned part.  So we did.  We totally did.  And it was awesome.  We were constantly looking around to make sure no one caught us.  It was a big rush, and we could not stop talking about it.


So now we are officially inside the abandoned part of the park.... which, by the way, this was THE coolest thing ever!
























Man, would this place be a great backdrop for a scary movie!

So by the time we got back to the zombie run area, we had missed the opening ceremony.  We didn't really mind.  The abandoned park was too awesome to pass up.



A couple of zombies were running late.




We decided to wait with some of the zombies and watch the runners come by.



Her weapon of choice was a toothbrush!











The zombies tried to grab one of the flags from the runners' belts.


It was a good day.  I had to leave early to go to the hospital.  More on that in the next post.  Gives you something to look forward to...

2 comments:

  1. i love this post! a few reasons why:
    1. i have ALWAYS wanted to go glamping! please go ez glamping and post!!
    2. your photos of the abandoned amusement park are fantastic! i heart carousels and an abandoned carousel seems both beautiful and haunting.
    3. those zombies are legit. who knew zombies were an international thing??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I want to go glamping too. I will see if I can persuade some friends to do this. I don't even know if people really glamp there!
    I loved the abandoned amusement park so much. It was THE coolest place I have seen in Daejeon.
    And weren't the zombies way cool?

    ReplyDelete