Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I found a church!

I am so excited to say that I found a church!  It's called Onnuri English Ministry.

Here it is: http://englishworship.blogspot.kr

I had done some research on finding a church in Daejeon.  There is a group on Facebook that is for Christians in Daejeon, and they posted a list of all the English churches in Daejeon.  I'm on the far east side of the city, on the southern side, so I didn't really want to go far up north or far west.

This church is about 45 minutes away (20 minutes to the subway, a 20 minute subway ride, and 5 minutes walking).  I didn't think it would take that long, so I was late in getting there.

I walked in and sat down.  Five minutes later, they had all the visitors stand up and introduce ourselves.  When we did that, I saw one of my friends from EPIK standing up too (he was our class leader), and another friend from EPIK was sitting beside him.  Woo-hoo!  I know people!  Shocked, aren't you?

So when it was my turn, I said, "Hello.  I'm Angela Hevron, and I'm from Dallas, Texas", and I hear this big "YEAH!" coming from the front of the church.  These are his words, "When I heard you, I knew you were from Texas, and I was like YES!"

Then it was time for everyone to say hi to everyone, and 5 people immediately rushed up to say hi to me.  That never happens!  The guy who was excited that I was from Texas was the first person I met.  He is a Texas Tech Red Raider from Fort Worth.  I met another lady from Fort Worth, and I was actually sitting next to three people from Tyler, Texas.  Small world!

I felt so welcome.

We had a guest speaker and then sang a few songs which I knew.  Bonus!

After that, we were all invited to have some refreshments with everyone.  I met a man from Connecticut who came here 11 years ago for a job, said he would not be staying, and that was 11 years ago.  He's now married with a little girl.  I met a couple who teach here and have taught all over the world.

Then all the visitors sat down with the pastor and talked a bit.  He is from Nepal, and his wife is from India.  He was so nice and welcoming.  Everyone was welcoming.

Afterwards, I headed downstairs with everyone else, and we all stood around talking.  I met several Hagwon teachers who were very friendly.  They invited me to go eat lunch with them.   There were 8 of us total, and we went to an underground food court.

This food court had everything, from Burger King to Krispy Kreme (but not with hot donuts) to Japanese food to Chinese food.

I had Japanese food.  It was good.  Colt, my new friend from Fort Worth, recommended it.  Then we walked around to find some dessert.



And look what we found?  Auntie Anne's!  I LOVE their cinnamon sugar pretzel sticks.  Yum-mo!


All in all, it was a good day.  I felt very welcome at the church, and I'm excited to go again.  Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment