Thursday, October 3, 2013

Fun at the food and wine festival

Today was National Foundation Day, which means a national holiday...which means a holiday for me!  Schools were closed today.  National Foundation Day celebrates the foundation of Gojoseon, the first state of the Korean nation.  I didn't really know Koreans celebrate it.  I just knew it was a holiday, which works for me.  I've never had a holiday on Thursday and had to go back to school on Friday.  It's a little weird, but that's OK.

Korea is big on festivals.  Daejeon has a big festival this weekend, the International Food and Wine Festival.  Today was the first day, and it is running through Sunday.  Julie and I decided to go out there today since we had a holiday and also since we will be out of town this weekend at another festival.

I found out that there is a bus that would take us directly to Expo Park (where the festival was) right from our neighborhood.  It was a long 45 minute bus ride, but we had seats and didn't have to walk.  So that's a win-win in my book.

Our scenery as we waited for the bus...

Empty bus vs. full bus

We didn't quite know where to go, so we just followed the crowd.


Yeah! We're here!  We got in for free and received a free wine glass.


Each booth had different wine, and the good booths had samples.  Even though I'm not a huge wine drinker, I did partake in the samples.  Some of them were very good.




The wine in the green glass was weird but good.  It was like a milky carbonated wine.  It sounds weird, but it actually good.  Don't know if I'd want a whole glass though...


Now this wine....oh goodness...can you read the proof on this wine?  It's 41.1% alcohol.  Yep, you got that right.  It's a bamboo wine, and it looks really cool in its container.  I tried it and, "Yowzers!"  I handed my cup to Julie, and she tried it.  You should have seen the look on her face.  Man, it made my throat burn.  If I'm ever freezing, this is the stuff I need to drink.




Rice wine


You could even buy beautiful box gift sets of wine.


There were also displays of food, bread, chocolates, etc...




I loved the napkin ring on this napkin.


There was a LONG line to get a bowl of this soup, but it did not look good.  I think there was tofu in it among other things.



There was a cooking school there, and they had made all of this food from around the world.  Their food looked good, really good.

Two of the cooking school chefs that we met...


This is a map that was displayed at the cooking school's booth area.  Notice the map of the USA.

Look a little closer...








And guess what?  I met another Aggie!  Gig 'em!



This pottery was so pretty.

They were playing music in the first building.







Going into the second building...

In the second building, they had wine from different countries.






People were waiting in line to sample this wine...


You could walk right up and sample some of the wines.






There were a lot of people there.

There were exhibitors and buyers, so you might see people sitting down and discussing buying wine such as these people.

I just had to...she even posed her dog for the picture.  I told you people pamper their small dogs!


Outside, there was a stage for music bands and all the food booths.

There was a lot of Asian food of course.

And Italian food...









Julie and I chose to eat at the Australian booth and go for some fish and chips.  Not the best I've had, but they were OK.  The chips were really good and tasty.



You could go to an ATM machine on the bus!

This sign made me laugh.



It was my first Korean festival, and I really enjoyed it.  I can't wait to go to the famous Lantern festival this weekend!

I am: in my pajamas, sitting at my desk
I hear: Hallelujah station on Pandora...specifically "Hey Jude" by the Beatles
I feel: tired after hours walking around at the festival
I love: having a holiday in the middle of the week...although I wish we had tomorrow off too

No comments:

Post a Comment