Tuesday, September 3, 2013

It's like Christmas!

It's like Christmas!  My packages from The Arrival Store finally arrived at my school.  I tell you, it's like Christmas!  And this isn't even all of it.  I received another box yesterday with pillows and the rest of my kitchen equipment. 


I had ordered some essential things from The Arrival Store before I arrived in Korea.  A couple of years ago, a guy came to South Korea to teach English with EPIK.  He had trouble finding certain things and decided to start a website where people could order things, and they would be delivered to your school.  Now you might wonder why I didn't bring them with me.  Well, most of these items take up a lot of room in the suitcase, and there is the weight restrictions.  Here are few things I ordered:
  • Sheets - Koreans do not use sheets.  Traditional Koreans don't even use beds. They sleep on mattress pads on the floor.  
  • Comforter - They don't use the traditional comforters like we do back home.  They are thin over here, more like a odd-textured blanket.  And I'm a girl who likes her comforter.
  • Toaster oven - Apartments and most homes do not have traditional ovens.  They have smaller type ovens that fit on the counter.  I love to cook and bake (and eat), so I knew I needed one of these.
  • Mattress pad - The beds in Korea are like soft rocks.  They are not those sleeping-on-a-cloud type mattress.  I just received my mattress pad today, and it is thick.  You do not know how happy that makes me!
  • Kitchen set - Did I mention that I like to cook and bake and eat?  Well I also LOVE to entertain and have people over.  I can't wait to have a little shindig at my house! 
Also, I didn't know that I would be getting a 2 bedroom apartment.  I found out literally when I arrived at the Seoul airport.  I had only planned on getting a shoe-box type apartment with one bed.  So now I had to get another comforter for my master bedroom.  I didn't mind one bit though.  I love having a second bed for friends to come over.  I had my first guest, Melissa, spend the night last Saturday, and I'll be having my second guest, Jenny, come spend the night this Saturday.  It's really nice to be able to hang out with friends and be each other's support and encouragement.  Living in a foreign country is adventurous and challenging, and it's so nice to be able to lean on friends who know exactly what you're going through.  I've made some wonderful friends here.  I truly have.  I thank God for sending these friends into my life.  

Pictures of my new and improved apartment are coming VERY soon!  I promise!  It gives you something to look forward to, right?

Here's a small teaser for pictures of my apartment, which now feels like a home.  The final pieces will be added soon, and I will post pictures and a video to give you a tour.

And guess the very first thing that went up on the walls in my apartment?  If you're thinking of something maroon, you're right!  My Texas A&M flag makes my apartment feel more like home.  I bleed maroon even in South Korea.  Gig 'em Aggies!  Whoop!



I also got some goodies from a girl I found on the Daejeon group on Facebook who has to move home unexpectedly.  I got a utility cart for my kitchen, a back massager, a heavy pea coat that fits like a glove, a slim heavy-duty fan, and a little set of drawers for my bedroom.  Some friends and I went over to her place tonight and went "shopping".  She is now a new friend.  God is good.

Life is good.  In fact, life is great.  I am living my dream.  I have wanted to do this for about 10 years now, and I've actually taken a leap of faith and done it.  I feel like Peter stepping out of the boat and onto the water.  What an adventure!  While teaching at a blind school is at times extremely difficult, I love living in Daejeon, South Korea and love all the experiences that come with living in a foreign country.  I am so glad I chose to do this. 

1 comment:

  1. So neat! I don't know how I missed this for so long!~~D

    ReplyDelete