Tuesday, September 17, 2013

And the celebration continues...

My school's birthday celebration continued the next day with PE competitions.  It was raining outside, so we had it indoors in the gym.  It was a blast.  I did not know what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised.

First, we did stretching.  Everyone stood up, and we all did stretches.
Top: my students / Bottom: stretching

The little kids had stacking competitions.  This little girl on the bottom left is the only kindergartener.  I could just scoop her up....she is absolutely precious!

Next was the volleyball competition.  I had to play.  Now if you know me, you would know that I am NOT athletically inclined.  God was not thinking athletics when he created me.  I'm scared of the volleyball, can never pass it correctly, and my arm always gets sore from serving.  I was not looking forward to it.  Well...this was no regular game of volleyball!  This was BLIND volleyball!  Yep, blind volleyball.  About a third of the teachers at my school are blind or have low vision.  This kind of volleyball game I actually enjoyed.  Seriously!  The rules are a tad different as you would expect.

  1. The net is low to the ground, about 8 inches off the gym floor.
  2. The volleyball goes under the net, not over it.  You hit the volleyball along the floor, almost like kicking it but with your hands.
  3. Several players stay at the front and hold hands, trying to block the ball.
Here are some pics: 
 Check out the guy in the bottom right picture below.  In this game, if you weren't blind, you wore these dark "blind" glasses.  They ran out, so he had to pretend to be completely blind by closing his eyes (he has low vision normally).  He had THe coolest way of blocking the ball.  He would stretch out his whole body.  It often worked and blocked the ball!

Next was a broom ball type of competition where students had to use a hockey stick to pass a ball down the gym floor, around a barrel, and back again.  The blind students had to have a teacher help them.  I just love to see the teachers being so patient with the students.  It truly warms my heart.

Meanwhile, the little kiddos were playing a game with balloons.  They were trying to catch balloons with a big net scoop and place them on the stage.  Are they adorable or what?

Here are the final pictures.  They gave out prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams.  My team didn't win.  :(

I am: in my quiet apartment with the windows open
I feel: love for my students as I look at their pictures from this week
I hear: praise and worship music from my iPod
I love: great dinners with friends where we can sit and talk for hours

1 comment:

  1. blind volleyball sounds so fun! i had no idea this even existed, but makes total sense. future olympian??

    ReplyDelete