Thursday, August 29, 2013

My school

I can't sleep (it's 3:00am here), so I thought I would write a quick blog post.

I am teaching at the Daejeon School for the Blind.  I have been placed here because of my experience.  But let's be real....God placed me here.  He wanted me here.  I will wake up every morning and tell myself that because I am struggling a bit (a lot).  There are several reasons.  I am so used to teaching and having my own classroom....designing my own lesson plans and activities.  I am also struggling because I have never taught pull-out special education.  Basically, my co-teacher and I have 3-5 classes a day, from elementary 3rd grade to high school level, which includes adults.  This is her first year teaching, so she is learning how to teach just as a first year teacher does.  I, however, have 15 years of experience.  I am used to teaching in Texas to the big state test, going 90 miles an hour to teach everything in the curriculum.  So it will be a learning curve for me.  So please pray for me as I learn the best way to teach my students and make this a meaningful experience for them and for me.  Pray for me that I will be a shining example of God's love for them.

Speaking of God, he continues to show me that He is the driver in this whole adventure.  One of the students who graduated college and lives there loves to come visit me every day and speak English.  I found out yesterday that he was a student of Divinity and studied the Bible to become a pastor but later decided not to.  He has also visited the DFW area on vacation and mentioned "the big mall" in Grapevine.  How cool is that?  I needed that today.

Let me show you my school!
Daejeon School for the Blind
The main hallway where the teacher's room is (they all have their own little "cubicle" with their computer on it) and the principal's offices are.  It is Korean tradition for me to greet them every morning and to say goodbye when I leave every afternoon.  The principal is always happy to see me, so that's good.
The English room (my room)

The doors always remain wide open, so anyone can go in.  This is so not what I'm used to in Texas.  My school last year completely redid the whole entrance 2 years ago to add more security.  Especially with all the school shootings.  There is hardly any crime here though.  Most children walk to school on their own, including kids in 1st grade.  I have heard stories of people forgetting their wallet somewhere, and it was still there hours later when they remembered and went back to get it.  So not like the United States.

I will post more pictures tomorrow....showing you my classroom and such.  I have many more things to tell you about my school but for now I'm going to bed.  Night!

2 comments:

  1. I know you can do this! You are such a strong person. I will pray for you daily. I am so envious of all the things you will do and see this next year and all the people who lives you will touch!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. angela! i went back and read all yur korea posts so i am caught up. dont you worry about a thing, because you Are supposed to be right where you are, and you will be an AMAZING teacher in your new circumstances. we are all thinking of you and praying for you and cheering you on from tejas. and its hot here, too. i am very sorry to hear about your lack of ac!

    ReplyDelete