Monday, July 15, 2013

Am I crazy?

As I prepare to move to South Korea, questions and thoughts keep popping up in my head.

Am I crazy?
What am I doing?
I'm going to miss my dogs like crazy.
Do I have everything written down on my To Do List?
Did I miss something?
What if something happens to Meme while I'm gone?
What if something happens to one of my dogs?
I'm going to miss volunteering at the shelter.
Just how different will teaching be over there?
I will NOT miss the STAAR test.
Will I like the food?
I'm going to miss my friends and family.
What if I don't make good friends?
What if I don't want to come back?
Yes, I think I'm crazy.
But I can't wait.

Here are some pictures to show you what I'm thinking. I think they are pretty self-explanatory.



However, then I think this...
I am in the palm of God's hand. He has planned this for me and has gone before me and worked out all the details.
Everything is my life has lead up to this moment, and this is all part of God's plan. He has THE absolute best plan for my life, and it is beyond my wildest dreams and imagination.
This is an adventure of a lifetime, and I am going to Carpe Diem and seize the day, living in every moment.
I will not ever regret doing this...I would only regret if I did not do it.
I am one of those people that makes friends wherever I go. And I can't wait to meet people who are as adventurous as I am.
I love change. I love new experiences.
Bring it on.

A lot of these thoughts stemmed from something that happened yesterday.

At church yesterday, I met someone from South Korea. When he found out that I was moving to South Korea to teaching English, he laughed and said, "It's not going to be easy." Really? Did you really just say that?

Um, yeah, I know it won't be easy. If I wanted easy, I would have stayed teaching 5th grade in Irving, Texas because that is what I know. I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt. However, I am choosing to move halfway across the world to experience something I've always dreamed about. I know it won't be easy. I'm not an "easy" kind of girl (no, that's not what I meant). I love to challenge myself to experience new things and go beyond what I would normally do. I love to go outside my comfort zone.

I don't want easy. But it would have been nice for him to tell me that what I'm choosing to do is really cool, and that I will love it. But I will just tell myself that because I really do believe it. I think that what I'm doing is really cool and awesome and amazing. I would want to be like "that girl who moved halfway across the world to live in another country." And I will also tell myself that I truly do think that I will love it. I foresee looking back on this year as life-changing, a year where I truly experienced living in the moment, a year that I will never forget. Now why would I choose easy over that?



6 comments:

  1. No, definitely not crazy, but I still understand what you mean by asking that question. It's a big and exciting change, and those types of thoughts are normal. I'd say you were crazy if you didn't have some of those questions popping up. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jimmie! I can't wait to share my adventures with y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! Maybe he just had a bad experience or isn't as cool as you:). So many things in life aren't easy, but so worth it. So excited for you! Remember, big challenges will come from the adversary just prior to such a big step God has planned for you. Keep strong and don't let anything discourage you. Your reward will be GREAT. I'm speaking from recent experience:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, that is a very cool way to look at it. And girl, you and I both know about our experiences making us stronger!

    ReplyDelete